[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Aug 2 02:08:17 UTC 2011

> I am having an issue tuning some channels though. The Ceton log shows
> everything is fine but I get "Error opening jump program file buffer"
> on my frontend (which is remote from the backend and does not have
> Ronald's patches applied).
> Ron, is this something your patch fixes that I should apply it to my
> frontends as well, or is this possibly something else entirely?

I'm glad you finally got it to work.

The patch does not need to be applied to the frontend. Neither of my
frontends have the patch applied. You only need the patch on the
backend.

For several weeks, my patch has been rock solid with tuning, both for
recordings and for live tv. Never had a single problem. Yesterday the
EMM data on my card expired (for some reason it never refreshed in the
30 days since I activated it...haven't figure out the cause of that
one yet). I got a tech from the NOC to refresh it today, but yesterday
when I was trying to figure it out on my own, I upgraded the firmware
on my card to the latest version (1.0.3.4, I think it was 1.0.2.8
before the upgrade). Immediately, I started noticing issues with the
tuning occasionally failing. I had code in my patch to detect a failed
tuning, but the way it was failing now was tripping up my patch. I
seemed that when you tune a channel, all the status fields were
getting set as you'd expect (which made my script think the tuning
succeeded) but then a second later the program field would change back
to zero. By then, my code had thought that stage had succeeded and
moved on.

I was able to work around that earlier today, and so far it's worked
just fine. I haven't yet uploaded the new patch. I'd like to tweak it
a tiny bit more before releasing it, but I didn't get a chance to do
that today (other things came up), and it looks like my ceton will be
busy recording until midnight. I'm gonna see if I can throw together a
virtual machine setup for testing tonight. Hopefully I'll get it
released tomorrow.

--
Ron Frazier