[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Mon Aug 1 19:29:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Erik Jensen <eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The flag goes away temporarily when my provider inserts local
>> commercials, so I have a feeling it's probably from up stream. Since
>> CGMS-A is an analog technology, it seems that it would have to be
>> encoded into the VBI of the video itself, like closed-captions.
>>
>> -- Erik Jensen
>
> That makes much more sense.  What channel is it BTW?  Also why would the
> Ceton have to respect a flag that all ClearQAM ignore?  Does CableLabs
> require it?  I guess the possibility of going to only CableCard tuning
> devices will never happen.

TruTV, which I don't think I ever watch anyway. Considering that
reading CGMS-A presumably requires some decoding of the video, I can't
imagine that they'd go to the effort if it wasn't required. It may be
something like Cinavia and Blu-Ray, where honoring the Cinavia flag on
unencrypted content is required to get a license for playing encrypted
Blu-Rays.  On the other hand, I suppose they could be being extra
vigilant to avoid any future legal complications.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  The CCI is always present on encrypted channels but
>> never on clear-QAM channels.
>
> That's not true.  CCI flags can be set on clear-QAM channels.  I don't
> know enough about the Ceton to know if it honors those flags in that
> case, though.

>From reading this thread, it sounds like the Ceton will honor the CCI
flag when it is present (or at least read it, since some people see
CCI information reported for ClearQAM channels), but that some
providers don't have CCI information for unencrypted channels.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Patrick Oglesby <octoberblu3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You get CCI info for channels you don't subscribe to? That's odd. For
> me, Copy Protection comes up as None, and Descrambling Status comes up
> as "Not possible (No entitlement)" (which is the flag I look for
> before generating the "You do no subscribe to this channel"
> message...which you apparently may not have even seen when you ran my
> script.

I have noticed something similar on mine, where I get CCI information
for channels I don't subscribe to. In my case, though, Descrambling
Status comes up as "Unknown" for every channel, and the only way to
determine if I am entitled to a specific channel or not is to try to
watch it. To make automating this even more complicated, unauthorized
channels still give me a TS container, just with no video or audio
stream (in contrast to copy-once channels, which give me no data at
all).