[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 13:23:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  The CCI is always present on encrypted channels but
> > never on clear-QAM channels.
>
> That's not true.  CCI flags can be set on clear-QAM channels.  I don't
> know enough about the Ceton to know if it honors those flags in that
> case, though.
>
> > So the saying "If you can record it over FireWire, you can record it with
> > CableCard" is always true for encrypted channels, but not for unencrypted
> > channels.
>
> I've seen some reports of successful firewire recordings even with CCI
> 0x2 (Copy Once).  It seems to depend on the STB you use.  Most of them
> block this, but apparently not all.
>
> (Last bullet here:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Configuration#How_To_Check_If_5C_DTCP_is_Enabled
> )
>
> So even this statement may not be strictly true.
>
> Eric

What a mess.

That entire excerpt was from the Ceton support site.  If they handle the
flags as I posted from their site, then they ignore CCI if unencrypted and
only look at the other four flags.  If encrypted, they only look at the CCI
flag.  The Firewire recording example with CCI 0x02 will not work on the
Ceton if encrypted, but would work if unencrypted.

Is it possible for some of these flags to not be "present"?  Are these
optional flags in the packet headers or do they have bits allocated for each
one?  If there are bits allocated, then what would those bits be set to
indicate not "present" as apposed to copy-freely?

-Tom