[mythtv-users] Building a database of cablecard encryption (CCI) details

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Aug 1 11:16:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The CCI is always present on encrypted channels but
> never on clear-QAM channels.

That's not true.  CCI flags can be set on clear-QAM channels.  I don't
know enough about the Ceton to know if it honors those flags in that
case, though.

> So the saying "If you can record it over FireWire, you can record it with
> CableCard" is always true for encrypted channels, but not for unencrypted
> channels.

I've seen some reports of successful firewire recordings even with CCI
0x2 (Copy Once).  It seems to depend on the STB you use.  Most of them
block this, but apparently not all.

(Last bullet here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Configuration#How_To_Check_If_5C_DTCP_is_Enabled)

So even this statement may not be strictly true.

Eric