[mythtv-users] Backend setup for win-hvr-950Q

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon Aug 1 13:13:49 UTC 2011

On 11-07-31 09:27 PM, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
> On 07/31/2011 07:09 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>> No, that thread doesn't refer to my earlier "how-to" stuff.
>>
>> But still, the digital side (what you want) ought to be really easy.
>> Your kernel boot log shows the driver being loaded, and the firmware
>> being successfully sent to the card on first use. And it takes 5-seconds
>> as expected, so that is all good.
>>
>> Is this the first time you've ever tried to configure a digital tuner
>> in mythtv?
>>
>> It should be as simple as going to "add tune" in mythtv-setup,
>> selecting "DVB" as the type, and accepting the defaults for everything.
>> Then go to "input connections" (or whatever it's called) and there
>> associate a "channel source" with the tuner.
>>
>> Then mythfilldatabase --refresh-all,
>> and Bob's your uncle! :)
..
> Yes this is the first time
> sadly I can't get digital or analog to work with MythTV
> just a blank screen everytime I try to watch TV

..

Okay, so in that case your tuner card may actually be working fine (or not),
and the issue could instead be a playback issue, or a livetv issue.

To eliminate the latter, go into the recording schedules page of mythfrontend,
and find the EPG / Guide / whateveritscalled, and tell it to record something
Right Now.  If you don't see any TV Listings there, then you have not completed
setting up the tuner and/or running mythfilldatabase afterwards.

If you *can* tell it to record something, then go to the media-->recordings
screen, and see if the show appears on the list there.  If it does, try to play
it from that screen.  Sometimes this will work in situations where livetv fails.

Do you have a video file of some kind from some other place -- eg. a video you
have downloaded from somewhere other than youtube ?  If so, then copy it to your
mythtv "videos" folder (can somebody else help with what the default directory
ought to be for videos -- I don't know), and try playing the video with mythtv.

Cheers