[mythtv-users] How do I disable a tuner

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 29 13:42:27 UTC 2011

On 04/29/2011 04:04 AM, Jay Cornell wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>>
>>> You can use the backend protocol and lock the tuner, preventing its use,
>>> however unless there is some very pressing issue preventing you from
>>> restarting the backend, just go into mythtv-setup, and disconnect the
>>> source from the input.
>>>
>> Really, you should also delete the capture card from the Capture Cards
>> section (or, better, just delete the card, which will disconnect its
>> input).  MythTV does not like unconnected capture cards.  It's only
>> designed and tested to have configured and working cards, so if your
>> card doesn't work, don't leave it configured (even disconnected) in MythTV.
> I am going to go to Input Connections section and change the Video
> Source for the bad Capture Device to NONE.  Am i correct in assuming
> that the  scheduler will not use/consider this device now.  This should
> buy me time to fix the bad cable.

If you do that, things may work fine, now, but at any point in the
future, all of your MythTV Capture Cards/Video Sources/Input Connections
configuration may be broken (with no further action on your
part)--meaning you have to delete everything (including all Video
Sources, which means you lose all your channel configuration), and
reconfigure everything.

Just delete the capture card.

> If i delete the capture Card, won't it be more reconfiguration to
> re-enable / test later? I suspect my problem is a bad cable not a bad
> capture card.

Creating a capture card takes, literally, 5 seconds.  It does not affect
channels (which are stored in the Video Source).  It only requires you
to know your capture card type and device.

Mike