[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Apr 26 02:47:04 UTC 2011

Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> says:
> I'm considering producing a nice little USB dongle to power on/off the
> HD-PVR in the times that it decides to misbehave for whatever
> reason.

I'd be very interested. In addition to the longstanding issue with the
HD-PVR,[1] for the price level and size you're talking about, it'd be
useful for other contexts for which computer-controlled power cycling
is wanted without the expense of a more costly gadget.

[1] That said, is the consensus that the issue is with the video4linux
HD-PVR driver and not Hauppauge's firmware (given that Windows and OS
X users of the encoder don't seem to have the issue)? I know Janne,
the original author, did the rest of us a big favor by going to
considerable trouble to reverse-engineer the driver despite not
needing to use a HD-PVR in his daily use. It's a pity, however, that
three years after the HD-PVR was released and 18 months after mainline
MythTV began supporting it this issue still bedevils all of us, from
John Poet on down.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg