[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:04:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com>wrote:

> Would you also happen to have a way to detect that it's stuck automatically
> and power cycle it? That to me is the tricky part. I hate leaving for the
> weekend only to find out I have a ton of blank files when I get back.

So far, the simplest way I can think of is to detect that a recording that
seems to be valid is not growing at all, and is remaining 0 bytes.  If that
is the case, we could then hit an external script to say "hey, this capture
device is hosed", and if it is an HD-PVR setup as that particular capture
device, the external script could then shut it off for 15-20s or so, then
turn it back on.

Obviously, that recording would need rescheduling, but it's as idiot-proof
as we can currently make it without a huge amount of changes to the
architecture of the code.