[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 22 02:38:15 UTC 2011

On 11-04-21 03:47 PM, Warpme wrote:
> On 4/21/11 3:18 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
>> On 11-04-21 04:47 AM, warpme wrote:
>> ..

>>> Hi,
>>> May You post here list of backported commits.
>>> I have quite similar problems to Yours and want to try backport and see how
>>> it helps in my case.
>> ..
>>

>> I began with this commit from tralph:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f8c108ef9a5c6bac9ec2414c47e2f404047e43b9
>>
>> and then added a few follow-on commits from  mark-kendall:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f54bfcb57dc26cc3a084be8fbed4bc4620726b1b
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/f2713206d10b3ce3198bf4bb40cb60206a36c3d8
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/bd7d2da5b17cdf15c51828548080633be948c79b
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/7d302773791cc8e5d31500143549e25a3ab591fc
>>
>> And finally the commit that eliminates any need to set vdpaubuffersize=
>> in the playback profiles:
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5e04d57bc87a6f422ccba79a493bebef50566162
>>
>> Those did not all apply cleanly to 0.24-fixes, so a bit of work was required
>> to get them to play nicely.
>>
>> Oh and there was one other commit in there somewhere to initialize
>> the vdpau surface states or something -->  that one gets rid of the corrupted
>> screen backgrounds after a mythfrontend crash.
>>
>> Anyway, the patch files that work for me are now on my server
>> at http://rtr.ca/mythtv_patches/  -->  patches 40 through 45.
..
> I applied all patches. So far no any issues, however I think some HD movies I
> have now started to play OK.
> Before patching I remember some of them have slowly creeping pixelization issue.
> Now it looks like issue gone. All those movies were playing OK in mplayer so
> creeping pixelization was definitely myth issue.
..

That pixelation is a sign that "vdpaubuffersize=" was set too small
(the default in mythtv is too small as well).  But those nice commits
from tralph and Mark Kendall make it all automatic, As It Should Be(tm).

A nice side effect is that cards with less memory will probably work
better now too, just in case anyone is actually still trying to use
a 256MB card with vdpau.  :)

> BTW: I backported MythUI notifications as I'm using them for VoIP caller ID,
> monitoring system CPU/GPU/Fans etc.
> If You are interested - let me know - I'll upload patch to Your server.

Thanks for the offer, but no I don't think I need them here.

Cheers!