[mythtv-users] Request for help making live TV useable

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sun Apr 17 12:55:42 UTC 2011

On 11-04-17 02:56 AM, Mark Kendall wrote:
> On 17 April 2011 10:24, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 04/16/2011 08:24 PM, Adam Felson wrote:
>>> I've been using mythtv since around version 0.12 and have never found the live tv function to be terribly useable.  For me there have always been lots of crashes and it seems to have only gotten worse.
>>>
>>> While I've watched some new functionality like the internal video player go from alpha quality to being a wonderful solidly mature feature, live TV for me is still problematical.
>>>
>>> I currently have two sets of capture devices:
>>>    a pair of NTSC plextor convertx usb2 external capture units w/ mpeg4 encoding
>>>    a pair of HDHomeRun ATSC ethernet external capture units each with a pair of ATSC tuners.
>>>
>>> They all work very well for recording.
>>>
>>> LiveTV has always had problems tuning.  95% of the time it would crash after a channel change.
>>>
>>> For liveTV, version 0.23 got bad and 0.24 has gotten worse.  I can no longer switch channels at all.
>>>
>>> I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to debug my setup.  I'd rather not completely erase my capture cards, as it'll cause all my recordings to no longer display what channel they were recorded from.  However, if I have to, then I will.
>>
>> First off, make sure you're on current 0.24-fixes.  Thanks to some
>> post-0.24-release fixes by Taylor Ralph and Mark Kendall, Live TV in
>> current 0.24-fixes is more stable than any prior version's Live TV I can
>> remember.
>
> As Mike has already said, you'll definitely need to get your hands on
> the very latest 0.24-fixes - which had its latest livetv related fix
> just a couple of hours ago. There's not really a lot that any dev can
> do to help out if you're not on something pretty recent as there have
> been so many fixes that any debugging of an older version is likely to
> be next to useless.
>
> If you can update and you still see problems, then please capture some
> logs with '-v playback,file,record' verbosity for both the frontend
> and backend (at the same time).

I have the same devices as the OP, plus others, and I agree 99% with his assessment.
0.24-fixes is far, far worse for LiveTV than 0.22, 0.21, 0.20, 0.19, and 0.18 were
with this setup.

I don't have any trouble with liveTV and DVB tuners, nor with the HDHomeRun,
but anything to do with NTSC analog has issues.  The ConvertX doesn't work at all
in LiveTV (fine for recording, though), none of my "soft" encoders work
beyond the first channel shown (if that), and even the PVR-250 results in lockups
and FE crashes if I change channels too quickly (more than once every 10 secs or
so).

Dunno why, and don't care enough to spend hours figuring it out and fixing it,
but it's there and not just an isolated incident.  (I do spend hours finding
and fixing other stuff, though, just don't have enough of those to worry much
about LiveTV).

I do see that Mark Kendall has a new LiveTV fix in 0.24-fixes today though,
so I'm downloading/rebuilding with that to see if it has any effect here.

Cheers