[mythtv-users] 0.24 Mac OS X Build

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 05:36:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 8:38 AM, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> Both my Mini and my MBP have Nvidia video.    Although, I do have an
>> older MBP which I think has a Radeon GPU.  I'll give that a try to see
>> if it behaves any differently there (which would be interesting, but
>> not helpful unless it helps to narrow the problem down.. I think Mac
>> Mini is the primary MythTV platform of interest).
>>

> I tried a new MythFrontend (0.24 build from sourceforge, dated April
> 9th, 2011) on my old MacBook Pro with a Radeon GPU, and found that
> both 1080i and 720p playback was completely smooth.
>
> I then tried the same build on my much more powerful 17" MBP with
> Nvidia GPU, and had the "dropping frames" issue with 720p playback.
>
> So, it seems to be a combination of factors, including the GPU
> (nvidia) and possibly the content (other people have reported the same
> behavior with 720p channels in the San Francisco Bay Area, not sure
> about other 720p channels).

Interesting - so I tried an experiment with my two mac minis.  Both
contain 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, 2GB RAM.  However, one uses the older
(and much maligned) Intel GMA 950 GPU, and the other (my Myth
frontend/HTPC) uses the newer Nvidia GeForce 9400M.  The GMA 950 plays
back 720p flawlessly, but the Nvidia GPU mini spews the "dropping
frame" messages every few milliseconds when playing 720p recordings
from ABC and FOX.  Pretty ridiculous, as I bought the Nvidia model
specifically for performance as a HTPC...
At any rate, I updated the ticket.