[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat Apr 16 01:57:39 UTC 2011

On 11-04-15 06:02 PM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:

> I will also add (especially after reading other recent posts on partitioning)
> that I have my database on a separate disk from recordings, but my OS does share
> space with my recordings (as does the swap partition).  The OS and swap are
> RAID1 x 4 and my recordings are RAID5 on the same 4 spindles.  I can certainly
> see the benefit of the DB on its own spindle.  Not sure I see the benefit of the
> OS being separate.  I do have some swapping going on, but it is very little (
> currently I have 85kb swapped out -- system has 4GB RAM).
>
> Maybe someone else will educate me.

:)  I'm a kernel dev, not a mythtv dev, so pardon the obvious advice.  :)

1. Don't bother with swap space --> if you've got 4GB of RAM, or heck even
"only" 2GB of RAM, there's just about zero need EVER for swap space.
It's simply not worth the fuss, unless you intend to "hibernate" (suspend
to disk, which uses the swap space) the machine.

2. OS and database together on one drive, recordings elsewhere.
That's if you have more than one drive.  I ran my mythtv system for years
up to 0.21 with just a single drive, and everything worked swimmingly well.

But now I use an SSD for system and database, and a second drive for all
of the bulky stuff.  This also works very very well.

Cheers