[mythtv-users] Partitioning advice request

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Apr 15 16:18:20 UTC 2011

On 11-04-15 12:09 PM, francis3 wrote:

> I usually use Seagate Barracuda drives. The last I got, the 2TB
> Barracuda LP, now in RMA, was not that silent.
> I temporarly have mythtv on a 1TB WD Caviar Green and I'm
> satisfied with it.

The Barracuda spins at 7200rpm, compared with only 5400rpm for the WD.
That alone can make a drive much louder.

But also, some drives benefit from a slight tweak to
their seek algorithms, known as the "acoustic management" setting.

Not all brands/models support it, but your Seagate could be one that does:

   hdparm -M192 /dev/sdX

(use the latest hdparm from sourceforge).

Cheers
-ml