[mythtv-users] SOLVED: MythTV vs. Windows Media Center

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Apr 14 13:57:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:23:00AM -0400, brianr69 at gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, I pride myself on not being obnoxious.  I'm sure you can tell.
>
> Oh... crap... I didn't "bottom post".  My apologies.  I'm sure this has
> offended many of you FOSS purists.  I'm sure you'll promptly ban me for my

    I don't use MythTV because I am a purist. I use MythTV because it is a
step up from a Tivo.

[deletia]

> Media Center isn't perfect.  However, there is a TON of
> free-open-source-software or donation-ware for Media Center that
> accomplishes everything that I want to do.  I now have a working Media

   Like multi-room use?

> Center system that serves HD video to every room of my house from a single
> Windows PC.  Admittedly, I'm still tweaking and learning new tricks... but
> it serves my needs and more.  The machine I built is silent, cool, and does
> everything I've read that Myth can do.  Yes, I spent quite a bit of money on
> the machine and the extenders to make them do what I want to do... but it's

    MCE "extenders" are very much a double edged sword, or blunt butter knife
depending on your point of view. One nice thing about the whole HTPC thing is
the fact that you can usually get around the limitations of appliances.

[deletia]

    With your attitude, it is little wonder that you got flamed.