[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Stephen Otto sotto at emsco.com
Wed Apr 13 12:59:54 UTC 2011

* Back on topic, we're working on the web setup rewrite and I have been
* working on the channel editor.  I think it's already a lot more usable
* and foolproof, but I have a few ideas of how we might make a lot of
* this more easy to do.  Specifically, I have an idea for a "channels
* palette" where all the channels from the listings source are pulled in
* and presented in a context menu, and during scan/channel edit, you can
* see a momentary screenshot of that channel.  You'd look at the
* screenshot, right click or open the palette/drawer, find The Disney
* Channel, and all the relevant fields are populated for you with no
* manual editing.
*
* This is not final product stuff, but you can see the current state of
* things in the channel editor which I wrote over the weekend:
*
* http://www.fecitfacta.com/delconfirm.png
* http://www.fecitfacta.com/editdetail.png
* http://www.fecitfacta.com/contextmenu.png
*
* A long way from where I want it to be, but it's a start.  I also hope
* to use have a similarly simple approach to icon choosing.
*
* Robert

Love the improvement in channel editing so far. My biggest pet peeve with
the channel lineup is having to go back and forth to the SD website and
download lineups for each tuner. I have three tuners that are all connected
to the same cable company. The first gets "basic" SD cable only (channels 2
to 49). The second get all SD channels (PVR150 with SD cable box). The third
gets all a few SD and all HD (HD-PVR with HD cable box).

Not sure if there is an easier way today but I currently go to SD and select
all channels then do the full download, then go back to SD for each tuner
and do the download for just that tuner. It really make updating for new
channels a pain and after 15 minutes of staring at their list of channels, I
am never quite sure if I clicked all the right boxes or not.

It would be great to be able to go to SD's website and select all the
channels. Then to go to Mythweb and look at a matrix of tuners and channels
where I could check boxes for which channels go to with each tuner.