[mythtv-users] hours to edit channels?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Apr 12 21:47:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>
>> Could this be done indirectly, through Schedules Direct?  I already pay them.
>>

> Lots of things are possible-- but what's not possible right now is for
> us to scrape proprietary data without permission.  If SiliconDust ever
> follows through putting out an API, then that might be something we
> could talk about.

SiliconDust doesn't really need to put out an API.  Have you seen the
source for those pages?  They're written to be easily parsed.

You're right that SiliconDust has not authorized programatic access to
those pages, but I would think it would be in their best interest to
allow MythTV users (at least those purchasing their hardware) to have
that access.  They rely on data collected from users via an opt-in to
gather that information and I would expect participation rates to
suffer if word got out that they were withholding this information.
(e.g. freedb vs. cddb)

For me, it's a moot point, since my HDHR died last month, and the
Prime (if it's ever released) won't need this information since it
will receive the mapping directly from the provider, so I won't be
working on it, but I still see this as a viable answer to Robert
Wagner's question: "How do you propose we improve this?".

Eric