[mythtv-users] using antec veris rm200 with kernel 2.6.37, lirc gives configuration problems on opensuse11.4 x86_64

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 8 13:56:23 UTC 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:55 AM, Rob Verduijn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've recently upgraded my opensuse frontend to a 64 bit installation
> of opensuse 11.4.
> This solved all kinds of problems for me that were biting me but has
> returned one that is starting to frustrate me.
>
> I cannot seem to get the lirc configuration working properly for the
> antec veris with the remote rm200.
>
> The vendor product id according to lsusb is : 15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc.
> And the remote is a : rm200
>
> As some of you might know the kernel developers have absorbed the lirc
> drivers into the kernel with the release of 2.6.35.
> Opensuse 11.4 comes standard with the 2.6.37 kernel.
>
> Most infrared devices we're still backwards compatible through the
> /dev/lircd device. However this is not the case for the antec veris
> remote.
> You now have to configure this device using /dev/input/eventX.

Or better yet, use the /dev/input/by-id/imon-whatever-if00 symlink,
as that won't change on you like the X can in /dev/input/eventX. :)

> I've been playing with this for some time now and got only partial
> succes, on the remote some buttons work fine and some do not work at
> all.

What works and what doesn't? Try looking at the key data using either
evtest or ir-keytable -t from v4l-utils.

> I've been testing the remote with irw and I only get output whit some
> of the keys of the remote.
>
> Does anybody have a working setup for opensuse 11.4 with this hardware
> (15c2:0038 SoundGraph Inc.) ?
> I'm especially interested in what is required in /etc/sysconfig/lirc
> and /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.
>
> Currently I've used the
> /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput file from the
> lirc-remote rpm package as /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.

That's the right one.

> This is what I've got in /etc/sysconfig/lirc
> LIRCD_DEV_PERMISSIONS="660"
> LIRCD_DEV_OWNER="root:video"
> LIRCD_DRIVER="devinput"
> LIRCD_DEVICE="/dev/input/event4"

Looks fine to me, unless 4 is moving on you. Note also that, iirc, the
remote will start in mouse mode in 2.6.37, rather than keyboard mode.
Keyboard mode is the default in 2.6.38 and on though. But you may find
that more keys start working after you hit the mouse/keyboard toggle...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com