[mythtv-users] 'Good stuff' v 'everyday' storage setup question

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 22:05:48 UTC 2011

I have a simple setup... overly simple maybe

1) 80gb OS drive for db and os
2) 1.5tb recording drive;
3) 2tb video and long term storage (music, mythvideo, pictures and
general file shares)

I have a user job which runs on show I want to keep that runs
mythtranscode --honorcutlist which dumps what I want to keep into a
directory on drive 3 with adverts removed. I then manually use
handbrake to convert it to h264 and put it in its final location

I also have disk 4) another 2tb drive which is an off site backup of
the media which doesnt get added to much - videos; stuffed in a drawer
somewhere and disk 5 and 6, which are old drives 500gb drives which I
have lying around which there is ALWAYS one offsite storing the
important files from disk 3 - photos and general files I dont want to
lose no matter what.

I take a copy onto disk 4 probably once every 6 months and so the
drive is on-site rarely
I take a copy onto disk 5 or 6 probably once every 1 to 2 months and
there is always a copy offsite, ALWAYS.