[mythtv-users] Can an Atom D525 handle a frontend and a slave backend with dual ota hd tuners?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Apr 7 16:39:12 UTC 2011

On 4/7/2011 09:47, Marc Sherman wrote:
> On 4/7/2011 9:03 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
>> By using an atom as a backend you are below the recommended spec and when/if
>> the scheduler runs (due to new recordrule, mythfilldatabase or eit data) the
>> cpu will be the bottleneck and playback will almost certainly stutter.
> Does that apply to my usecase? All the scheduling and database
> management is done strictly in the primary backend, right? I'd be
> keeping the mbe on my basement server, only running a slave upstairs on
> the atom.

Correct.  Besides a jobqueue, the only duties a slave backend (with
digital/mpeg tuners) has is file shuffling.  Nothing intensive there.
Atoms are not recommended for frontends, because if whatever hardware
accelerated decoding method you are using fails for any reason, be it
incompatible codec, incompatible compression options, glitchy stream,
use of flash that cannot be accelerated, the Atom does not have
sufficient power to fall back on for much of anything.

If you already have the hardware in hand, you should be able to run a
jobqueue-less slave backend without much trouble.  Otherwise, look into
buying some real hardware instead.  A bare Core 2 or AMD system can be
brought in under 40W idle, and an i3/i5 system at around 25W idle.