[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Apr 7 08:06:45 UTC 2011

On Thu Apr 07, 2011 at 01:06:00 -0400, Bobby Gill wrote:

> Going to be setting up a server soon, am pretty settled on RAID5 linux
> software RAID. I currently have an ASUS P5K-E mobo that has 6 SATA slots + 2
> eSATA slots. I would be using 1 drive for my Arch OS, so that leaves 7
> available slots for my array.

If you're planning on that number of drives, I'd recommend RAID6 instead
of RAID5. RAID5 leaves you very vulnerable to getting a second drive
failure during a rebuild, losing the array altogether.

> My question is, what if I would wish to have a 8/10/12 drive array either
> right off the bat or in the future? Would getting one of these work:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16-101-358
>
> That would add 8 SATA slots. I am just trying to confirm that adding that
> card (or one like it) would do the trick of adding SATA slots and could be
> used as any other SATA slots for linux software RAID, so I wouldn't have to
> worry about not being able to physically add drives to my array in the
> future if desired.

From what I can find, it should work fine with software RAID
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SASLP-MV8.cfm
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/578212) but
you'll need to make sure your kernel is new enough.  You'll also need to
check the connectors - it looks like it uses multilane connectors on the
card, so you'd need either a hot-swap bay that supports those, or a
breakout cable.

Cheers,
    Robin
--