[mythtv-users] Question re: available SATA ports and linux software RAID

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Thu Apr 7 05:06:00 UTC 2011

Going to be setting up a server soon, am pretty settled on RAID5 linux
software RAID. I currently have an ASUS P5K-E mobo that has 6 SATA slots + 2
eSATA slots. I would be using 1 drive for my Arch OS, so that leaves 7
available slots for my array.

My question is, what if I would wish to have a 8/10/12 drive array either
right off the bat or in the future? Would getting one of these work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16-101-358

That would add 8 SATA slots. I am just trying to confirm that adding that
card (or one like it) would do the trick of adding SATA slots and could be
used as any other SATA slots for linux software RAID, so I wouldn't have to
worry about not being able to physically add drives to my array in the
future if desired.

(I was considering the HighPoint 2300 PCIe controller card but after
communicating with their web support, they confirmed to me that multiple
controller cards of theirs (any?) cannot be used in conjunction to form an
array (one card = 4 slots so I couldn't buy 2 cards and build an 8 drive
array on the same mobo).)

Thanks for any help
Bobby