[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Modify mythweb flash streaming for an in progress recording (Formula 1)

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 23:40:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

Yet again, I am being shipped away for a fortnight to a state that
doesn't have the Formula 1 on TV and there are two races during that
time.

I realise that the mythweb flash streaming feature is not supported
and appears to be removed or on its way to removal in upcoming
releases.

I run 0.23-fixes on mythbuntu 10.04.

I have in the past applied the pseudostreaming patch to mythweb
(http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8206) and this allows me to jump
to anywhere within the recorded file and start streaming from there
and also jump to any cached portion of the recording.

I have also done some further modifications to stream_flv.pl to
'calculate' the duration of an in-progress recording so the progress
bar is displayed correctly and the size of the recording so the
progress along that bar is also correctly displayed.

My only issue now seems to be that ffmpeg only encodes the file to the
point that is recorded when I start playback through mythweb.  Is
there a safe way to read the inprogress recording so ffmpeg continues
to encode newly recorded portions of the file?  I am think of
something along the lines of 'cat'ing the file and piping it into
ffmpeg, but is this safe?

Ideally I would also update the swf player to intermittently retrieve
an update on the stream duration and size as the recording progresses
but I haven't got a clue how to do the flash programming required.

Is there a better way for me to approach this problem?  I am looking
for a solution to watch my recording (including inprogress ones) from
afar with an ADSL connected server (so 256k upstream), with no more
open ports on my firewall and preferably not having to compile
programs myself.  My intended playback device is my linux netbook (and
possibly android phone).

Many thanks for any suggestions,
Whytey