[mythtv-users] Hardware Purchase

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Apr 5 16:01:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> On 11-04-05 10:35 AM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Most people find the exact opposite of this to be true.
>
> I don't know "most people", just a few with HDHRs and other tuners,
> plus my own rather extensive setup and experience with the first two
> generations of HDHRs and many other tuners.
>
> ..
>> That's a dangerous area of speculation you are entering.
>
> Dangerous?? Speculation??

It's speculation because you're drawing conclusions based on your
limited experience with a small set of tuners under whatever your
particular signal conditions happen to be, under who knows what kernel
versions for each of those tuners.

It's dangerous because regular users who don't know any better read
threads like this and form conclusions based on perhaps very limited
information.

My point is simply is that is is *very* difficult to say tuner X is
better than tuner Y without having a much more comprehensive analysis
process (taking into account environmental factors and the versions of
code actually being run), and people should take individual users'
experience with a grain of salt unless they know what all the
variables are.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs