[mythtv-users] Configuring HDMI sound in Mythbuntu for ASUS GT430

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:45:22 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 09:13, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> After compiling the 1.0.24 libraries I renamed the asound.conf I had
> created and rebooted.

You don't have to remove that file and mythtv won't use it by default
as it only lists native (non-plug) devices.

> After doing a scan I was able to get:
>
> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3 [device supports up to 5.1 (digital
> output,AC3,DTS,)], which didn't work before, to work.

If this is what you use in MythTV then it's the best solution ;
automatic settings for digital audio passthrough will work well that
way.

> Of course, ditching my asound.conf has stopped hdmi sound working in
> Firefox, but I realized that this machine's supposed to be my PVR and
> not another desktop so perhaps I should just stop fiddling.

You can have both the asound.conf as well as MythTV properly configure
which is what you now have.

So in mythtv you use ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3 ; and in
asound.conf define "default" to use that device so it works in
firefox.

JY