[mythtv-users] Question about 0.24 osd.xml values

Dave Sp davespmyth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 10:06:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:31 AM, Dave Sp <davespmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Dave Sp <davespmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
>> > wrote:

>>> Right.  There are multiple positions on where we're going with this.
>>>
>>> Some want 3 separate settings to allow user-specified short, medium, and
>>> long timeouts.
>>>
>>> I don't want 3 settings--so I prefer 3 reasonable hard-coded timeouts or
>>> theme control of the timeouts.  My reasoning is that no user is likely to
>>> know which OSDs use short, medium, and long timeouts, so asking them how
>>> long to display short, medium, and long timeouts will likely be confusing
>>> ("I just want the program description to stay for 10s.  Do I change short,
>>> medium, or long?"), so the settings add little value at the expense of
>>> confusion).  And, once we allow that level of user adjustment, someone will
>>> say, "Well, OSD A and B both use medium, but I want A to use long and B to
>>> use medium.  How can I change that?"  (And the only sensible way to allow
>>> that level of control is to have the theme control it.)
>>>
>>> Regardless of which way we go, no one has gone through the current code
>>> and done a complete scrub of all the OSDs and changed things to actually use
>>> short/medium/long timeouts where appropriate.  Mark got the most-important
>>> ones, but I don't think anyone was willing to unilaterally decide which
>>> should use which.  So, if someone were to do up a nice list of all the OSDs,
>>> the timeouts they currently use (short/medium/long), and a proposed timeout
>>> they should use (short/medium/long), it would likely be a great start toward
>>> making them all useful.  Even if we allow theme control in the future (or
>>> user-specified values for short/medium/long), we still need to assign each
>>> OSD an appropriate "default"--i.e. specify whether to use short/medium/long
>>> for each.
>>>
>>> Note, also, that short = 3s, medium = 5s, and long = 10s in current code.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Okay, I'm creating a list of all the OSD calls where a timeout is
>> involved.  When I post this to the dev list, is there a preferred format?
>>
>> --Dave
>>

> MIke,
>
> Until the code is ready to accept timeouts specified by themes, I have a
> tested patch for osd.cpp which will allow environment variables to specify
> different default timeouts; the code can come out when theme control is
> ready.  What is the best way to have this patch included?
>
> --Dave

Mike,

Above, you wrote "the only sensible way to allow that level of [timeout]
control is to have the theme control it".

As a start, I created an enhancement ticket ("
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9706") with patches to allow theme
control of the three current OSD timeout values.  Should I have assigned the
ticket to a component other than "Video/OSD Rendering" for the patches to be
considered for inclusion?

--Dave