[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase running every 3 hours for some reason

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 23:09:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running mythtv-0.23 from the debian multimedia repository.  I
> noticed in my monit.log that my cpu usage (the wait number) was
> getting above the 20% threshold about every 3 hours, and I started
> looking around for a cause.  I finally looked that my mythfilldatabase
> log, and notice it is running about ever three hours. (it looks to be
> a few minutes over that).  I think I have it set up to use the
> suggested time from the grabber, but if I search the log for
> NextSuggestedTime, it doesn't seem to be obeying that.  Here is part
> of the result of "grep NextSuggestedTime mythfilldatabase.log"

> Anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry to reply to myself, but I think I may have found my problem.
There was no row in my settings table called:

MythFillSuggestedRunTime

Looking at the code, it looks like myth was trying to update that row
with the next suggested time, but since it used UPDATE, there was no
failure (the update just affected 0 rows).  I looked at the dbcheck
code, and it seems at some time in the past, this was called
NextSuggestedMythfilldatabaseRun, and should have been updated with
the new name.  I'm not sure why my db didn't have that row, but I
added it with a date in the past, and when mythfilldatabase ran at
about 6:00pm, it updated the value.  At about 9:00 pm I'll know if it
did any good, and the next suggested time is at about 11AM tomorrow,
so after that I should know for sure if this was the problem.

Bill