[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Thu Sep 30 17:20:52 UTC 2010

On 09/30/2010 05:54 AM, Andre wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2010, at 12:32, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>
>> I recently got a new TV which has extra HDMI ports, is there any advantage in running HDMI over VGA, other then the possibility of audio over HDMI depending on my video card (Gigabyte GT240) which isn't really an issue as the tv has a seperate audio port for the VGA input...
>>
>> It would be nice to see the thoughts of the list on this.
>
> Often there is a different set of modes available through the VGA compared to HDMI, usually VGA only has a few PCish modes and HDMI has a different set of TVish modes.
>
> Recently I've seen more sets where everything is available on all ports, so things are improving.
>
> It's unlikely you will see modes like 1920x1080 on the VGA port and even less likely to see 50hz or 24hz refresh rates, extremely important if you live in Europe or Australasia.
>
> Again less recently but I've seen pixel shimmer when using VGA, 1:1 pixel registration is not guaranteed by design like it is through HDMI, assuming the TV allows you to have 1:1 registration.
>
> I wouldn't consider using anything other than HDMI (or DVI).
>
> Andre
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Anthony

Televisions and Monitors quite often have undocumented behavior using HDMI or DVI. For example, my Dell monitor will over-scan
anything that uses Y Pr Pb, color space, but not overscan anything that uses RGB color space. I discovered this while trying to
set up my PS3 as a blu-ray player.

I have heard reports that at least one Samsung television would not output sound on its Toslink output when that sound came from
an HDMI input that had been labeled anything other than "PC". Switch the name to "PC", and you could get sound.