[mythtv-users] VGA verses HDMI

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Sep 30 23:04:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
> I recently got a new TV which has extra HDMI ports, is there any advantage
> in running HDMI over VGA, other then the possibility of audio over HDMI
> depending on my video card (Gigabyte GT240) which isn't really an issue as
> the tv has a seperate audio port for the VGA input...
>
> It would be nice to see the thoughts of the list on this.

One significate advantage of HDMI is that it's just one slim cable,
compared to a bulky VGA cable and a fragile jack patch lead.

Digital audio passthrough is also nice if you're remotely picky about
that kind of thing.

Picture quality differences are neglible at 1080p. They're real, but
you're unlikely to see them.

- Chris