[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Joe jfwd at phlobus.net
Mon Sep 27 16:14:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Here, I don't own the building, and so that sort of thing is out of
>> the question.  However, the place is wired for cable tv (of course,
>> since you can't get anything with an antenna here), with an outlet in
>> the living room and the bedroom.  I ended up trying this:
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122243&Tpk=moca
>>

> Thanks, I wasn't aware of this product (though it does seem to resemble 10-base-2, though it claims faster speed).
>
> My question is, can it coexist with CATV signals on the same cable?
>
> They say:
>
> "Works with DSL broadband and homes wired for cable"
> But I suspect "wired for" does not mean "using".
>
> This one's the killer though:
>
> "Not compatible with satellite television installations (e.g., DIRECTV, DISH Network)"
>
> My brother has DISH :-(

Yes -- the old 10-base-2 was exactly what I was thinking of when I was
googling around for devices like this, figuring we could run ethernet
over coax 20 years ago, we should be able to do it better now :-).

We have digital cable from time warner -- both TV and internet
(terrible service btw, but the only choice it seems).  So yes - the
single coax wire is carrying cable tv, modem, AND this MoCA/ethernet
traffic simultaneously.  They use frequency bands that do not overlap
with tv/modem signals but apparently do overlap with satellite --
hence why it won't work with that -- unless you can find a way to
separate the satellite of course.  There's both a coax input and
output connector on it -- it receives the MoCA freq bands and passes
the rest through, to go to the stb and modem -- basically an add/drop
mux.

Supposedly you can also hook up more than two - they will all share
the available bandwidth and become a distributed ethernet switch of
sorts.  I suspect I'm getting good performance because none of my
neighbors have one....

Thanks for the welcome ... I'm on the east side (24th) and work in
midtown ... being in the city definitely changes the requirements of a
myth system - small form factor is now very critical!