[mythtv-users] Power Line Network Connections and Myth ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 27 15:30:01 UTC 2010

On Monday, September 27, 2010 09:16:32 am Joe wrote:

> >> I had the occasion to try it and, at least for SD, it works...

> >> I believe this was/is called HomePNA... I'm not sure that still
> >> exists...

> >> These things are affected by interference from other devices AFAIK and
> >> you most probably won't be able to plug them in a surge suppressor (it
> >> affected the signal when I tried it).
>
> I just saw this thread.  I was in a similar boat as I just moved to
> NYC.  In my previous house I had snaked wires through the walls to
> every room.  Definitely the best way - fast and reliable.
>
> Here, I don't own the building, and so that sort of thing is out of
> the question.  However, the place is wired for cable tv (of course,
> since you can't get anything with an antenna here), with an outlet in
> the living room and the bedroom.  I ended up trying this:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122243&Tpk=moca
>
> It works pretty well.  It does add about ~2-3ms of latency end-to-end
> vs a normal ethernet switch (when pinging), but the transfer rate
> seems about on par with 100mb ethernet.  I have no problems with my
> frontend playing a single HD stream over this, but I haven't tried two
> or more simultaneous streams to find the limits yet.  And this is all
> with coax cables that were probably installed in the 1970's when the
> building was last renovated.
>
> I would recommend it as an alternative to powerline if your rooms are
> wired for cable tv and you cannot run cat5/6.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this product (though it does seem to resemble 10-base-2, though it claims faster speed).

My question is, can it coexist with CATV signals on the same cable?

They say:

"Works with DSL broadband and homes wired for cable"
But I suspect "wired for" does not mean "using".

This one's the killer though:

"Not compatible with satellite television installations (e.g., DIRECTV, DISH Network)"

My brother has DISH :-(

I love copy like "a staggering 270 Mbps", even if true it's not exactly "staggering", especially as most modern machines
have gigabit network ports.

Welcome to NYC. I lived at B'Way and 56th St. for many years.