[mythtv-users] Umlauts in filenames make files/folders invisible [SOLVED]

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Sat Sep 25 13:48:12 UTC 2010

Hi Yianni

Yianni Vidalis <yiannividalis at hotmail.com> writes:

> I had the same problem, and mtdean helped me solve it.
>
> See:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/445131?search_string=
> in%20storage%20group%20paths%20[SOLVED];#445131

Thanks. With the help of this page I could figure it out. It's not
completely trivial, so I will add the solution here for other people who
might find this thread:

The problem seems to be the shift of Ubuntu from traditional
init-scripts to the "upstart" method. Seemingly "upstart" runs in an
environment with different locale settings (language, encoding).
Therefore, mythbackend is not able to read utf8-encoded filenames
properly with all special characters.

Here is what helped me:

1. Stop mythbackend with

   $ sudo stop mythtv-backend

2. In a shell type:

   $ locale

3. The output is something like:

   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
   LC_ALL=

4. Open the file /etc/init/myth-backend.conf with an editor (don't mix
   it up with /etc/init.d/myth-backend, which seems to be a dummy-file
   for those who try starting mythbackend as a traditional init-script!)

5. Copy the output of the 'locale' command into this file and add
   'export' in front of every line. I copied it just after 'script'. The
   file then looks like this:

,----/etc/init/mythtv-backend

| # MythTV Backend service
|
| description     "MythTV Backend"
| author          "Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>"
|
| start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo)
| stop on starting shutdown
|
| #expect fork
| respawn
|
| script
|         export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
|         export LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         export LC_ALL="de_DE.UTF-8"
|         USER=mythtv
|         ARGS="--logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user $USER"
|         test -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend && . /etc/default/mythtv-backend || true
|         /usr/bin/mythbackend $ARGS
| end script

`----

   Note that I also added the locale information for LC_ALL which was
   empty in the 'locale' output. I don't know if this is necessary.
   Anyway, it doesn't harm.

6. Restart mythbackend with

   $ sudo start mythtv-backend

   or restart the machine.

7. Now, start mythfrontend and rescan for videos. All titles should now
   be found.

Greetings,

Sven