[mythtv-users] Thin client frontend

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 22:56:18 UTC 2010

>> I run about six to ten FE's (depending how one defines these).  The admin
>> load is a draggg so a central model has some advantages
>
> If I had multiple frontend clients and needed to
> upgrade I would upgrade the server and only one copy of the frontend netboot
> image, then copy that frontend image for all the other frontends.

I'd softlink all the various FE rootfs-es to accomplish the same thing
while saving 6-10X disk space and improving performance (6-10X more
efficient use of disk cache). Of course a few things like /tmp,
/etc/HOSTNAME, /var/log/syslog, etc would need to be their own
separate copies rather than links, but that's minor.