[mythtv-users] Adding RTSP source to mythbackend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Sep 19 18:38:33 UTC 2010

Gert wrote:
> Raymond Wagner schreef:
>>  On 9/19/2010 06:05, Gert wrote:
>>> Since gnutv is the only program on my Mythbuntu system which is able
>>> to receive/record from the firedtv + irdeto ci-module with smartcard
>>> card in my system and output in several formats like rtsp, udp or
>>> even stdout to a pipe I was thinking of the folowing solution:
>>
>> It seems there are Linux drivers to allow the card to function as a
>> normal DVB device within the Linux video capture API.
>>
>> http://firesat.kurelid.se/
>>
>> Is there any reason you can't just use these, and then access the card
>> natively in MythTV?
> Hi Raymond,
>
> Yes, the card is natively usable from within Mythtv but only the
> unecrypted channels work. I have tried to apply the patches on the
> firedtv forum to see if it would make any difference but Ubuntu has some
> bug in their kernel-headers and/or kernel-source which keeps it from
> recompiling. Googling just gives lots and lots of hits on firedtv and
> ubuntu but show only how to deactivate the firedtv module so it does not
> interfere with all the other v4l modules which everyone else seem to
> need :-)
>
> GnuTV tunes the card and activates the CA module and smartcard the
> correct way and all channels I have paid for are visible and recordable.
> So I thought it would be a snap to just use gnutv as recorder but I see
> no way to incorporate it in mythtv. The channelchanger script would be
> usable to preset the firedtv tuner with gnutv but then I need to pipe
> the output of the card back to mythtv. GnuTV can even be given a timeout
> value in seconds so it can record entirely on its own.
>
> It would be nice if there was a general 'external recorder' option in
> mythtv which could call a custom script with the required channel and
> recording time and required filename for example. I had hoped that the
> Mythtv 'Import Recorder' option was usable for this but I could not find
> information what it does or how it works.
>
> The French Freebox uses the rtsp protocol but it also uses some playlist
> system to select a channel.

Hmm. A 'pipe' tuner as described above might be a useful accessory function for
mythtv. As well as following the Unix philosophy, it would permit users to
handle those odd, obscure sources people occasionally mention on here by
allowing handing-off to an external video collector program.

Currently the only way I can see this requirement being handled is by using the
loopback address and one of the stream plugins like mythnetvision.

--

Mike Perkins