[mythtv-users] OT: netboot is extremely slow to boot

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 23:39:43 UTC 2010

Hi all, this weekend I decided to finally take the plunge and move my
backend from a combo to a dedicated box. I thought that while doing
this I would also switch to netbooting the frontend. I'm using
mythbuntu 10.04 and followed this guide from their wiki:
http://www.mythbuntu.org/wiki/network-boot-mythbuntu-diskless. The
actual system works great and I'm very pleased, but it takes over 5
minutes to download the image. On the client I see:
DHCP..
<ip info>
TFTP.
MTFTP......

It's the MTFTP part that takes forever. Like I said, other than the
extremely long load time there, everything boots fine. Any suggestions
on how I can improve the speed of this?

Also, how can I set the hostname to be something readable? As of now,
it gets set to the MAC address.
--Justin Johnson