[mythtv-users] [mythtv] mike's description of how SG should be used

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 15 19:42:57 UTC 2010

  On 09/15/2010 06:05 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On 15/09/2010 09:36, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The rest of the post was just saying to only define your SG once on the
>> master backend and don't override the directory list on the remote
>> backends
>
> that was not obvious to me either. does mythtv-setup not complain if
> you have not set up the SGs on the SBE? will check tonight.

When run on a remote host, mythtv-setup will still check to see if any
valid storage groups are /defined/ (such that directories are available
on this host).  That means that if you set up your storage groups
properly on the master backend (specifying directories that are
available on your remote backend), you won't be prompted to "fix" your
storage directories.

Remember, you cannot define a storage group on the remote backend--you
can /only/ override the directory list from the definition on the master
backend.  I.e. you can only say, "The master backend SG definition is
wrong."  So just make the master backend definition correct, and all
will work.

>>> is the above quoted post on the wiki? it certainly should be.
>>
>> No. Maybe I should put it there. I have several other pages I keep
>> saying I'll create on there, but haven't made time to do so.
>
> i will add it if you want.

Thanks for adding it.

Mike