[mythtv-users] Wireless FE Stumbles and locks up -- fix?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 15 15:07:32 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 15, 2010 09:00:00 am Travis Tabbal wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Recordings are all from PVR-500, so just SD data.  As far as
> > competition, yeah, it looks like about six other wifi networks, all
> > too weak to access with my android phone, but the other half is using
> > a laptop downstairs via wifi ATM.
> >
> > It may be worth the attempt to get a "N" card to try in the FE, but
> > IIRC, the router will downgrade to the least-common-denominator being
> > served, so I would need to get any/every other device upgraded to "N"
> > to get the best performance, correct?
>
> Even if you can't connect to them, 6 networks in range will cause
> significant RF interference. And someone else using the wifi will certainly
> cause issues. With wireless, only one device can transmit at a time, or
> they collide and the signal can't be received at the other end. It's like
> an old hub-based ethernet. The comment about the router downgrading isn't
> really correct, it will just take more time for the slower stations to
> send/receive and cause performance issues that way. Older routers did
> that, but that hasn't been the case for years, certainly not with N
> capable gear.
>
> If you must use wireless, get an N router and card for the FE that you can
> run a dedicated network on 5Ghz for. And then hope nobody near you ever
> sets up a network on the same channel. IMO, 2.4Ghz is useless for
> streaming applications unless you really live in the sticks without any
> other 2.4Ghz sources nearby.

Remember that bluetooth, cordless phones, microwave ovens, wireless mice/keyboards, wireless cameras and a host of other
devices all use the 2.4 Ghz. band. It's becoming useless even here in the "sticks".

The data rates stated for WiFi are a joke, they can't come close to what they claim even in an interference-free
environment.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a "what is a gigabyte" type lawsuit here, though most WiFi devices do have a disclaimer on
the package, it's printed in "Enron Beelzebub" font at a less than one point size.