[mythtv-users] Wireless FE Stumbles and locks up -- fix?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Sep 15 15:00:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recordings are all from PVR-500, so just SD data.  As far as
> competition, yeah, it looks like about six other wifi networks, all
> too weak to access with my android phone, but the other half is using
> a laptop downstairs via wifi ATM.
>
> It may be worth the attempt to get a "N" card to try in the FE, but
> IIRC, the router will downgrade to the least-common-denominator being
> served, so I would need to get any/every other device upgraded to "N"
> to get the best performance, correct?

Even if you can't connect to them, 6 networks in range will cause
significant RF interference. And someone else using the wifi will certainly
cause issues. With wireless, only one device can transmit at a time, or they
collide and the signal can't be received at the other end. It's like an old
hub-based ethernet. The comment about the router downgrading isn't really
correct, it will just take more time for the slower stations to send/receive
and cause performance issues that way. Older routers did that, but that
hasn't been the case for years, certainly not with N capable gear.

If you must use wireless, get an N router and card for the FE that you can
run a dedicated network on 5Ghz for. And then hope nobody near you ever sets
up a network on the same channel. IMO, 2.4Ghz is useless for streaming
applications unless you really live in the sticks without any other 2.4Ghz
sources nearby.