[mythtv-users] How do I not lose my upcoming recordings?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 19:58:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Chris DiLorenzo <cdilorenzo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an HD HomeRun.  Sometimes I have to rescan my channels because
> Comcast will move them.  When this happens, I sometimes lose a good
> portion of my upcoming recordings.  I have to go back and reschedule a
> bunch of them.
>
> I am moving from DC to Atlanta soon.  That means I will need to rescan
> and I assume just about every channel will move.  How do I not lose
> all of my upcoming recordings?  Are they tracked by xmlid, channelnum,
> callsign, or the channel's name?  Is there any way to setup the
> channel info prior to the rescan to maximize my chances of not losing
> everything?
>
> Thanks.

Not using per-channel rules will make moving between cable providers,
channel names, channel numbers, etc. a breeze.

To oversimplify, your rules should all be "record at any time on any
channel," with an optional filter to only record new episodes, and
your preferred tuners should be the first ones defined in your system.
 Then the channel numbers can change, the channel names and callsigns
can change, etc., and Myth will always do the right thing so long as
you keep feeding it valid guide data.

Robert