[mythtv-users] Multi-Input Cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 13 20:24:17 UTC 2010

On Monday, September 13, 2010 02:10:12 pm mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > Two completely independent tuner devices can certainly be used at the
> >same time. There are limitations.
>
> I bought two cards to try myth out.
> Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-HD-S2 DVB-S2 Tuner Card
> Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC QAM ATSC
>
> I have the above ATSC card in the main system so would not be using ATSC,
> only the PVR500's external inputs. Assume it does it's encoding on board,
> then I could install a couple of those on two backend systems for example.
> The best I could do on the backends unless I used different hardware than
> I'm hoping, would be IDE 7200 drives.

I'm confused, I don't see a PVR-500 mentioned in your list.

But yes, you can install as many PVR-500s as you have slots, cooling and DC power for, and you can use both encoders on
each PVR-500 at the same time.

Disk I/O is not likely to be a limitation, especially as the PVRs are limited to SD. Even with HD, several streams at once
is not even close to the write speed of most drives.