[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a full wipe and reload?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 12:08:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have used mythbuntu and ubuntu. I now pick ubuntu every time and add the
> myth repo & packages
>
> On 13 Sep 2010 12:49, "Roy Lofthouse" <lofty69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 13 September 2010 12:21, <pnetherwood at email.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Fedora 12 reaches end-of-life in le...
> agree with Paul here,
>
> I have been running Fedora for over 5 years and find the updates to
> versions can be quite manual, I also have ubuntu on a laptop and find
> updating version far easier.  I'm going to be rebuilding my server at
> some point in the future and have already ear marked Mythbunutu as the
> replacement O/S.

Agreed, though I use Mythbuntu for frontends, and Ubuntu + myth for
backends.  You can certainly install Mythbuntu and make it work as a server,
but I find the lack of gnome and some other standard Ubuntu components makes
the configuration of the other parts of the system more difficult (assuming
your backend does something besides myth, like mine does).  You can also
install Mythbuntu and then install the Ubuntu-desktop package and get
approximately the same thing.  To each their own, but I find the best part
is ability to choose.  Good luck!