[mythtv-users] Any easy way to set up local HD channels via QAM?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Sep 11 01:59:27 UTC 2010

On 09/10/2010 12:03 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:11 AM, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:

>>> have a perl script that will record 5 to 10 seconds from every channel
>>> and determine the encryption status using ffmpeg. After that, I use
>>> mplayer to determine what channel it is. Then I create a CSV file and
>>> run one last perl script that goes into the database and configures the
>>> channel names, numbers, XML ID, etc.
>>>
>>> I can share some of this if you are interested.
>>>

>> Since there is no actual 'easy' way of finding and naming channels, these
>> scripts sound like a great step forward. Thanks for offering to share.
>>
>> There is a wiki page here:
>>

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adding_Digital_Cable_Channels_%28For_ATSC/QAM_Tuner_Cards_--_USA/Canada%29
>>
>> which is now quite likely out of date. It would be great if you would
>> either add a description of your process (and the scripts) to that page, or
>> add a link to a new page which sets out your process. (Use a similar name,
>> or add 'revised' and a date).
>>

>> Geoff

> Wouldn't this help in some situations?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan

As you say: In some situations. It depends on the cableco using the
inband method etc.

I don't think any of the Canadian cablecos, for example, use that
method. They use the more expensive STB's. The OP's problem is in
finding the clear HD channels which (making a major assumption that the
cableco is not breaking the rules) should be in clear QAM...but which??
out of a couple of hundred feeds.
Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury