[mythtv-users] First DVB-T2 tuner announced - Hauppauge PCTV Nanostick T2 290e

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 8 13:53:47 UTC 2010

  On 08/09/10 14:42, Another Sillyname wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Why would you need a PCI version? Have you run out of USB ports?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins

> In my experience USB TV tuners can get a little toasty sometimes, I'd
> always opt for a PCI-e version if it was available purely for better
> thermal management.

Surely that thinking is backwards; better to have the "toasty"
components external to the case than internal?

 From what I know, the PCI DVB-T in fact contains the same chips as the
USB, so better to have them outside the case.

Also, having them external makes for simpler swapout etc. and testing on
UAT rig, I know my biggest problem with upgrades is always with having
to move PCI cards around.

Cheers
Gordon