[mythtv-users] Channel scan question for the HDHR

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 19:53:27 UTC 2010

Thanks in advance. I'm confused.

I've brought up my Myth backend server (3 times now?) and tried to get
the HDHR connected to SchedulesDirect and displaying a channel
listing. I've had a lot of problems. Finally I found this Wiki page:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Scte65scan

which lists these steps:

  Myth Setup Ordering

   1. Within mythtv-setup create the tuner cards and grabbers but
don't do the "connections" yet
   2. run scte65scan as described below
   3. fill the database with the results
starting channel to a valid channel

I assume by 'grabbers' it means filling in the Video Source settings
for SchedulesDirect? If that's not correct please let me know.

OK - so steps 1-3 went OK except for the command to populate the
mythconverg database which I had to make mode complete

mark at MacMini:~$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg <vct.sql
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
mark at MacMini:~$ mysql -h 192.168.1.61 -u mythtv -p mythconverg <vct.sql
Enter password:
mark at MacMini:

So it worked (I think) but required I specify the host even though I'm
on the host.

Now, my question is about step 4. It says "Go back to mythtv-setup and
create the connections and set the starting channel to a valid
channel". When I try to do that it won't let me change the starting
channel: setting. It currently says 'Please add channels to this
source'.

Am I supposed to run either 'Scan for channels' of 'Fetch Channels
from listing source' at this point?

Thanks,
Mark