[mythtv-users] Happague HVR-950Q woes

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Sep 6 15:42:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Robert Lynn Jr
<rjlynn at sixteentwelvemedia.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new here, and I got a brain teaser for ya. I've got MythTV 0.23 running,
> using a Happague HVR-950Q USB stick tuner. I have both the ClearQAM and
> analog tuners working correctly. But, when I'm using the MythTV front end,
> eventually, my keyboard becomes nonresponsive, and I have to alt-tab out and
> kill the frontend.
>
> The tuner works just fine. However, the keyboard becoming nonresponsive is a
> deal breaker. No such thing happens when using XBMC to connect to the
> backend and view live TV, so I BELIEVE it's a frontend issue. dmesg doesn't
> bring anything useful, either.
>
> I'm using a ZOTAC ionitx-g-e mainboard, and a HP wireless USB keyboard. I'm
> kinda leaning on it being that the USB bus may be a little overloaded, and
> that's why, but that wouldn't explain why I can alt-tab out. Where should I
> start troubleshooting?
>
> Oh, and has anyone gotten the remote to work?

It's not clear to me why you think this has anything to do with the
HVR-950Q (as suggested by your subject line).  Especially if you are
able to "alt-tab" to switch away from mythfrontend (suggesting that in
fact the keyboard is working).

Regarding the remote control, it is not supported under Linux (and I
have no plans to add support for it in the immediate future).  Given
how hard it is to setup remote controls under Linux, I would strongly
advise you just spend $20 and buy an MCE USB remote control receiver
which will work "out of the box".

Cheers,

Devin

--