[mythtv-users] Can I mythexport without transcoding?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:01:06 UTC 2010

On 3 September 2010 18:35, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Another Sillyname
> <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Matt
>>
>> Perhaps you could give an outline of exactly what you're trying to
>> achieve and people could suggest a different way to get to the end
>> result?
>>
>> For example I'm trying to get my head around why you would use an RSS
>> feed to distribute the information rather then a pull from a web link.
>>  Are you wanting to remotely automatically pull the program based on
>> it being in the RSS list?
>
> Heh, sorry. I sometimes go all over the map with these posts.Here's what I'm
> trying to do:
>

> I have my myth system set up at home, and I've built a combined BE/FE here
> at work, as well as on my work laptop. In a nutshell, I want to transport
> recordings to work to watch at lunchtime etc, and I want to use Myth to play
> the movies at work. Some coworkers have expressed an interest in Myth for
> themselves and I want to be able to demo its features.
>
> I want the highest quality possible since we have both a 60" Plasma and very
> nice (albeit 720p) projector in our conference room. As was stated
> previously, moving that much data across the internet is not such a hot
> idea, although I could see myself doing a one-off download if needed (I have
> a 2mb uplink from home).
>
> The reason I attached myself to mythexport is two-fold: One, I would like to
> automatically export recordings to an ipod-friendly format for my Evo and my
> girlfriend's iPod. That's out of the scope of this post but it's what got me
> into mythexport in the first place. Two, I want an easy, semi-automatic way
> to get tv shows from home to work and have virtually no coding, html or sql
> skills. So the thought was to have mirobridge running on my portable
> computer and mythexport on my home computer, and either manually import the
> specific episodes through Miro or set up subscriptions and let my computers
> do the talking automatically.
>
> I have a lot of ideas in my head at once so I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear
> in my other posts. Thanks for the input though, sometimes I need to be
> smacked around to stay on track. :-)

OK

In that case I'd suggest you go a different way.

I don't know if you've played with mythweb?  If you have you can see
that there are links on the recorded programs pages that will allow
you to 'pull' the source file either before or after a transcode.  I
have to say I'd STRONGLY urge you to do some kind of transcoding as
pulling a 1gb file even over a 2mb link is going to take a lot of time
and also upset your ISP in all likelihood.  The other advantage with
nuvexport is it changes the output files to 'recognisable' names and
can also strip all adverts as well as topping and tailing the
recording, by outputting the files to a storage group you can also
access them remotely via mythweb.

To just 'view' quickly stuff at work flash will probably suffice (and
transcoding into flash can almost be done on the fly if you have a
decent processor at the back end), however you should perhaps look at
using nuvexport to transcode to high quality avi's or x264's and then
pull them for movies and stuff.

To give you an example a 6-7GB BBC HD x264 1080 source recording will
usually compress down to about 1.1GB x264 720p after transcoding
without any quality loss IMHO.  1.5GB Standard Definition (SD)
recordings can be compressed down to 250-300mb files.

Hopefully this will give you another path to think about, the tools
already exist to do what you want and you don't need to re-invent the
wheel.

Regards and have a good weekend.