[mythtv-users] is it really 29.97 fps or 24 fps?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 03:33:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 22:01 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>> I have seen this sort of thing as well..  The only explanation I have
>> drawn - and subsequentally lived with - is that the programs are
>> making frame rate assumptions based on container alone.
>
> Yeah.  Mplayer doesn't though.
>
>> Once they
>> start playing them, they use the proper frames and get it right
>> though.
>
> Ahhh.  Mplayer does get it right.  Despite the container, it ends up
> actually displaying 24 frames in each second.  Mythfrontend does not.
> That's obvious in two ways.  The first is that it does not change the
> display rate of the TV and the second is, if you step through a single
> second one frame at a time (i.e. with the -> key), you will count 30
> frames, not 24.

Hmmmm - that is *very* peculiar.  That would mean there should be
noticeable sync issues (assuming that the real framte rate should be
24, but is playing 30)..  I cannot image the audio and video being
rate *challenged* :)
It may not be enough difference to be noticeable - which is why I have
just accepted it..  I'll have to dig deeper..