[mythtv-users] is it really 29.97 fps or 24 fps?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 3 03:06:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 22:01 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:

> I have seen this sort of thing as well..  The only explanation I have
> drawn - and subsequentally lived with - is that the programs are
> making frame rate assumptions based on container alone.

Yeah.  Mplayer doesn't though.

> Once they
> start playing them, they use the proper frames and get it right
> though.

Ahhh.  Mplayer does get it right.  Despite the container, it ends up
actually displaying 24 frames in each second.  Mythfrontend does not.
That's obvious in two ways.  The first is that it does not change the
display rate of the TV and the second is, if you step through a single
second one frame at a time (i.e. with the -> key), you will count 30
frames, not 24.

b/