[mythtv-users] 1.6GHz Intel Atom as a SD-only backend?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 19:10:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM, David Lasker <dave at altosdesign.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010, 8:35 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Thanks Robert. I'll have to see if I can spot a dual processor model.
>
> I think Robert was referring to dual core (Atom 310), not dual processor.
> For example Acer Revo 3610.
>
> Dave

Thanks for the clarification. This led me toward maybe building my own
little box:

1) $79 Intel Atom 510 motherboard with  processor - 2 core, 4 thread
with built-in graphics in the processor - 13 Watts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121399&cm_re=intel_atom-_-13-121-399-_-Product

2) Simple Mini-ITX case including power supply - $39

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108196

3) 2GB Memory for around $50, or 1GB for $25 to save some power.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=A5C381D1A5CA7304

4) Use a spare WD 1-terabyte drive of which I have 5 right now. (Tried
to use for RAID but they don't work in RAID very well.)

With two SATA ports I would use one for the system hard drive, the
other for the CDRW while building the machine and then convert that
SATA port to eSATA using the sort of cable pointed out by Jan for
video storage once the machine is built.

For under $200 it would likely be a good little box and possibly
capable of doing HD server work if I ever bothered to get something
like an HDPVR. (Unlikely, but possible.)

Thanks,
Mark