[mythtv-users] mythbackend crashes every 6-7 hours

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 20:49:41 UTC 2010

On 30 October 2010 18:42, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 04:34, Rob Verduijn wrote:
>>
>> My mythtv backend crashes every 6 to 7 hours (sorry can't be more
>> specific)
>> The logs give me :
>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
>>   what():  std::bad_alloc
>
> Sounds like you're running out of memory.  Check 'top' after a couple hours
> and see how much stuff is using.  The 'res' column is the one you should be
> concerned with.

myth does not have a memory leak here.
I use the SVN version, and it is compiled with debug switched on.
It sits on about 700M of virtual memory and about 3% CPU, but I have a
fast CPU and my mythfrontend is on a different PC.

If you want to track this down, I would try the same, get the SVN
version, compile it in debug mode.
You should then be able to get it to report which line in the program
caused the failure.

Kind Regards

James