[mythtv-users] Question about switching from cable to satellite

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 06:12:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

>> > Linux

>> > The HDPVR is a bit more than I would like to spend, but it seems like it
>> > will do what I want and then some.  From the wiki page you linked to it
>> > seems like setting it up will be very simple.  Thank you for the
>> > suggestion, but one question is left is if it has a single tuner or two?
>>
>> None. The HD-PVR only accepts baseband input (component for HD), so you
>> need an external STB or receiver.
>>
>> The only "tuner" you can use for satellite is the receiver/STB provided by
>> the satellite carrier.
>>
>> I'll grant that the HD-PVR is expensive, but it works extremely well, and
>> is the only solution I'm aware of to record HD
>> from a sat receiver.
>>

> So if the HD-PVR relies on the tuner in the receiver than how will Myth be
> able to control the box when it needs to change changes, ether for live
> viewing or for recording assuming this is even possible?
> If it works then I'm sure I can justify the cost for one, just need to know
> what to expect with it.

Depends one which provider (and which STB) you go with.  If Dish, for
example, you would use an IR blaster:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_an_IR_Blaster_with_MythTV

If Directv, you could do it either via serial, or possibly ethernet:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_Network

John
--